I am reaching out personally on behalf of the entire Oakville Naturopathic Wellness Centre Team to assure you that your safety and well-being when attending future appointments at ONWC is our highest priority.
We understand that you may be experiencing stress given the rapidly changing information on spread of the virus in Ontario and Canada, travel restrictions and cancelled or postponed public events. We want you to know that we are monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely, keeping those who are affected in our hearts, and are listening carefully to the questions and concerns we receive from patients and clients such as yourself.
We are proud that so many of you consider our Centre a safe space where your wellness journey is supported, and we want that to continue, so we have taken many proactive steps to maintain the healthiest possible environment.
Providing safe and clean environments for our patients, clients and team members is always top priority for Oakville Naturopathic Wellness Centre – even more so today. We remain committed to upholding the highest standards of cleanliness, and we want you to feel at ease when you visit ONWC, knowing you’ll experience the quality you expect from us.
Listed below are precautionary and pro-active response measures staff and practitioners have implemented, over and above the CDC and the WHO’s recommendations. We continue astringent infection control that we uphold on a regular basis based on the foundation of our Naturopathic profession’s requirements by the College of Naturopaths of Ontario (CONO). Our facility has been audited for site inspections and successfully passed CONO’s high standards for infection control and emergency procedures in 2018 and 2020.
- We are updating our COVID-19 guidance to our staff members, in coordination with our team, with advice and support from the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND), Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors (OAND), and CONO on a daily basis, detailing best practices on how to protect against the transmission of the virus.
- Screening of patient’s visiting the Centre is in place at the time of appointment booking, when entering the centre, and with your practitioner:
- Have you travelled outside Canada within the past two weeks?
- Have you been in contact with a person who has recently returned from travel outside Canada?
- Do you have any of the following symptoms: fever, dry cough, and/or difficulty breathing?
If you answer “Yes” to any of these questions we ask that you stay home for the 14 day isolation period. Please do not go to a health care facility (including our Centre). Call Telehealth (1-866-797-0000) or Halton Public Health to learn what you should do next.
- We also ask that any patient who believes they meet the criteria for COVID-19 infection and might have visited the Centre before being aware that you might have been infected and were asymptomatic, please contact us immediately.
When attending your appointments:
- Signage outlining how to effectively clean your hands has been posted for patients to remind them of proper effective infection control
- Hand sanitizer is available in all areas of the Centre and has been prior to this outbreak of COVID-19
Assisting Current and New Patients of ONWC during the COVID-19 outbreak:
- We have created a complaint oriented initial appointment that is shorter in duration (30 mins) for those who show interest in our immune boosters and have not had an initial Naturopathic consultation with any of the Centre’s Naturopathic Doctors. For Osteopathic, Nutrition or Massage therapy clients you may take this opportunity to seek out Naturopathic care and book an initial appointment.
- We have modified our original 5 min immune booster appointments to 15 mins, allowing us time to take appropriate vitals measurements (eg. Temperature, Pulse, blood pressure, lung auscultation), perform a quick health update and have time to administer the appropriate immune booster during this COVID-19 outbreak.
- We have ordered extra supplies of Vitamin C Injectables, Hydrochloric acid Injectables sterile water bags, immune boosters and other immune supportive supplements.
- Following CONO guidelines, the IV Immune infusion can be administered with up to 15 grams of Vitamin C intravenously without running a G6PD blood test. Proper assessments and blood work are required prior to an IV infusion.**
**Patients who require more than 15-50 grams of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) intravenously will need the G6PD test. The test requisition can be given by your Naturopathic Doctor or you may ask your conventional medical doctor for this test.
Telephone/Telemedicine appointments for Naturopathic patients:
- If you are presenting with symptoms, and have a Naturopathic consultation booked during the self-isolation period you can attend that appointment (or book one) to be conducted by telephone or telemedicine. You are strongly encouraged to continue your current naturopathic treatments: continuing with your consultation as scheduled, but by telephone/telemedicine which will best assist you on how to deal with both your infection and other health problems.
Extra safety measures being implemented at ONWC during the COVID-19 outbreak
- We have brought in additional anti-microbial cleaning products to increase the frequency in which high touch areas are disinfected.
- We have reviewed infection control procedures with ALL staff
- We have always cleaned and washed all linens between clients
- We have removed all toys and children’s books in our paediatric area for the time being as to decrease any germ spreading
- Deep cleaning of the Centre has been established during this time and practitioners are taking extra precautions between appointments (appropriate hand washing, wiping down of treatment tables, desk, chairs, door knobs etc.)
- Personal protective equipment will be donned where appropriate through appointments (through physical examinations) and treatments. (ex. Gloves, masks, bonnets, booties and gowns – generally these are worn when compounding IV bags.) For manual therapists, practitioners will have access to masks. If either therapist or patient has cold symptoms and is concerned about being exposed to other infections, masks or other protective equipment should be used through the duration of the appointment.
A couple of tips/reminders to all Patients:
- Dairy, wheat, bananas and oranges are mucus forming foods. Increasing their consumption could potentially make it more difficult to get rid of any virus that is causing upper respiratory symptoms.
- Practicing mindfulness can be very beneficial to the immune system or just trying to calm your body and the nervous system , ie. de-stressing, breath work, yoga, osteopathic treatments, massage therapy are beneficial
- Essential oils can be helpful in supporting symptoms from viruses and/or cleaning and sanitizing your home (Ex. Tear tree oil, eucalyptus etc.)
- Hydrotherapy treatments you can do at home can effectively boost your immune response and treat viruses and bacteria. Handouts on these treatments (“Warming Socks”, and “Hot baths”) will be available at the front desk.
We will continue monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) updates, and will respond based on the advice of the WHO, public health authorities, governments and health professionals.
Our mission statement at ONWC is to educate the community on Naturopathic principles and striving for optimal and preventative health. Not many people are leaders in their field for supporting your body through this viral outbreak. In all decisions we make, we are guided by our mission statement and will remain grounded to those core values.
To be very clear, our College (CONO) and associations (CAND and OAND) are stressing that we must clarify we do not TREAT the Coronavirus nor are our anti-virals claiming to treat COVID-19. However, we know that the work we do with our patients when using our naturopathic remedies/intravenous nutrient infusions help to stimulate the body’s innate healing powers and support the immune system.
More than ever, what we need right now is to be socially connected. In that spirit, in the days and weeks ahead, though our community may not meet each other physically, let us keep each other in our hearts and minds. Let us reach out and support one other. Let us have, as our priority, those amongst us who may be feeling the most isolated, who may be ill or facing challenges, and for whom the current situation will be particularly difficult. Let us be there for each other.
Thank you for your support and your loyalty. We will keep you updated through this dynamic situation and can’t wait to welcome you at our Centre soon.
Stay tuned for updates on real statistics, the reality of this viral outbreak and advice on how to keep your family prepared in the next couple days.
Dr. Nyla Jiwani, ND – Naturopathic Doctor and the Team at Oakville Naturopathic Wellness Centre