The Top Ten Causes of Spinal Problems
Various stressors can cause spinal misalignments starting from the birthing process onwards. Here are the top ten causes:
1. Be aware, a difficult delivery can affect a child’s spine for life. If labor is long
and intensive, get a chiropractor to check your child’s spine immediately after
2. Children often fall while learning to walk or play causing damage during the
critical growing years. Get them checked regularly for spinal abnormalities.
3. Poor posture habits or an improper sleeping position can cause pain or
discomfort. Check beds and pillows regularly for firmness and support.
4. slip, fall, or sports injury, at any age, can damage the spine. Be pro-active
with regular check-ups.
5. A motor vehicle accident causing whiplash, shock or injury should be treated
within hours of injury. DO NOT WAIT to see your Chiropractor for care. After
4 + years of intensive training, they are experts in the care and rehabilitation
of the spine.
6. Using the same body position or movements repetitively, over and over, for
long periods at work or at play, can cause undue stress on all areas of the
spine and joint Get a registered massage or hands-on care when you can!
7. Emotional stress, trauma, depression, illness, or anxiety can cause the body
to react and compensate, causing pain and discomfort. Remember, the mind
controls the body!
8. Not getting enough exercise or carrying too much body weight puts extra
pounds and burden on the spine and joints. Walk regularly and get those
extra pounds OFF!
9. Lack of sufficient sleep, excessive workload and exhaustion tires the spine
and makes it collapse under pressure. There is a time to work and a time to
rest. So sleep when you can and if sleep is not fully relaxing, ask about other
methods to sleep more soundly.
10. Incorrect lifting practices or improper carrying of heavy loads, on the job, or
at home can cause pain. Get it checked out before it becomes a real problem.
Tips for a Healthy Back
- Lift properly. Never lift while bending or twisting at the waist. Use the strength of your legs, not your back, to lift properly.
- Take frequent breaks from prolonged sitting (at work, travelling or at home). Get up and move around, trying to stretch every 30 minutes, if possible.
- Sleep on your side with knees slightly bent, never on your stomach. Use a supportive pillow or mattress to keep your spine straight.
- If you smoke, STOP NOW!!. Nicotine restricts the blood flow to the spinal areas, making pain and injury more likely.
- Exercise, eat carefully, and keep your weight to within 10 pounds of your ideal weight to take the strain off your back.
- Pregnancy places extra demands on the cause of back pain. Chiropractic can help, so make it part of the process.
- Don’t read, watch TV in bed, or use furniture that does not give you proper support. The resulting pressure can lead to problems.
- Finally, wear shock-absorbing footwear whenever possible. Have your chiropractor or health care practitioner check your feet to see if orthotics are warranted.
What Causes Nerve Problems?
The bones of the spine become slightly out of alignment and this puts pressure and irritation on adjacent nerve tissue interfering with normal and healthy nerve flow.
An actual nerve pinched by a bone is rare. This happens in only in 10 to 20 percent of cases.
Actually, discs don’t slip, but they can rupture, tear, or bulge, which can then irritate and put pressure on the nerves.
Muscle tension can restrict nerve flow and muscle function.
Chemicals, smoking, and certain foods can irritate nerve tissue.
Chiropractic care has been around for 100+ years and is an effective, safe and non- invasive way to deal with nerve and spinal problems and to improve and maintain your health. It is a natural, safe approach to health care. Chiropractic is based on the principle of prevention and treating the CAUSE of the illness, not just the SYMPTOMS. For more information , please contact Dr. Katrina Kulhay at the ONWC.
Dr. Katrina M. Kulhay is a Nutritionist, Doctor of Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, Wellness Consultant & Foot Care Specialist. She welcomes your comments or questions. Call for more information at (905) 825-9996 or email@example.com.